If you are unable to change the display resolution on your Windows 10 computer, please don’t worry about it as you can fix it. We will show how you can troubleshoot the ‘unable to change display resolution on Windows 10’ error in this article. Customizing your screen resolution can be crucial in some cases, and it could be a pain when you can’t manipulate display resolution. There could be some errors on your Windows 10 related to the screen resolution, but the worst thing is sometimes it may do not let you customize the screen resolution settings.
In common, the Windows 10 computer automatically adjust themselves to any kind of screen resolution required by the monitor. Microsoft has made the Windows 10 operating system in such a way that it automatically adapts to any screen resolution. Even though it has automated resolution settings, you may sometimes find the Windows resolution settings inaccessible on your computer.
The reason behind this problem is not necessarily a technical glitch, but it can be incorrect settings and all that.
Troubleshooting Windows 10 screen resolution can’t change error
Please go through the solutions given below, and you will definitely fix the screen resolution on your computer.
1. Updating display adaptors
The display adaptors are a set of device drivers on your computer responsible for computer display resolution. If you wish to get the best resolution possible for your computer, you must upgrade the display drivers. The below instructions can help you with that:
- Search for device manager in the start menu.
- As the device manager application appears in the results, right-click it.
- A list of options will appear, and you have to choose the run as administrator from the list.
- Click on Yes to continue.
- The device manager will open on your computer.
- You will see different devices on your screen now.
- You have to select the display adaptor option to open graphics drivers.
- This will expand it, and you will be able to view graphics card drivers.
- Right-click on each option and then select the update driver option.
- Follow the instructions on your screen and select the automatically update driver option.
- Click on the appropriate options to complete the driver update process.
- Restart your computer when the process finishes.
Try to switch to a different resolution to check if the resolution feature is working or not. If you are still not able to change the resolution on your computer, keep reading.
2. Delete and reinstall display drivers
You will also need to delete the previous drivers if the above method doesn’t work. If you cannot fix the ‘screen resolution not changing’ issue, you must delete all display drivers and reinstall them one by one. Just follow the below instructions to make this happen:
- Open the device manager as we have shown you before.
- Look for the display adaptors section.
- Please expand it and then right-click on the first driver inside it.
- Select the uninstall option.
- Follow the instructions on your screen and choose appropriate options to complete the removal procedure.
- When you have removed the first display adaptor driver, do the same for the rest of the display adaptor drivers.
- When you have removed all drivers, shut down your computer.
- Disconnect the monitor if you are using a desktop.
- Then reconnect the monitor and start your computer again.
- This should fix the ongoing trouble, and you will be able to change the resolution from now on.
This is how you troubleshoot Windows 10’s screen resolution can’t change error. Hopefully, it will work for you.