As technology advances, gadgets become more useful than they already were. That said, the old-fashioned printers are no less. Earlier, these printers needed a tethered connection to a computer. But now, you can conveniently print from Android smartphones and tablets using a Bluetooth or Wi-Fi connection. You don’t even need one of those high-tech printers. Your Android device will make sure you get the print using older printers. Keep reading to learn more.
Google Cloud Print
Printers with wireless capabilities and Google Cloud Print are becoming more affordable. Google Cloud Print enables you to print from Android. This tool connects your printer to the internet, making it possible for you to give the print command, even when you are outside by using your internet connection.
In case, your printer has the Google Cloud Print functionality baked in, the set up becomes easier. All you need to do is, link your printer to your Google account with a username and password.
After this, launch the Cloud Print app on your Android device to log into your account. This way, you connected your printer and Android device. Now, the only requirement to give the print command is that both your printer and Android must be connected to the internet. The rest will be the same as with any other device.
Instructions to print from Android:
- Open a document you wish to print.
- Tap on the Menu button.
- Select Print.
- On the page that opens up, select the printer you want a print from.
- Now, tap on the print button.
Use Google Cloud Print on an Old School Printer.
You can use your old-school printer to print from your smartphone but in an old-school way. To do so, both your computer and the printer should always be on and connected physically. Doesn’t really sound smart but at least it can be done!
- Open Google Chrome on your computer.
- Select the Menu button in the upper-right corner of the window.
- Click Settings.
- Open Advanced to see more options.
- Navigate to the Printing section and click Google Cloud Print.
- Open Manage Cloud Print devices.
- Scroll down to find a section named Classic printers.
- Select Add printers.
- A page will appear with all the available printers. Select the one you want to add to your Google Cloud Print network, and then follow the prompts.
- Now, look for a file on your Android device that allows printing. Open the menu options to select Print.
Print From Android Using Email
This is one of the most interesting methods to use your Android for printing. Some printers have their own email addresses, to allow printing from Android without using other apps or services. If your printer does have an email address, simply follow the steps mentioned in its manual to set up email printing. Please know that every printer has a different procedure for its online setup.
Once the setup is complete, you can send an email to the printer’s email address attached to the documents or files you wish to print.
Print From Android Using a USB Cable
Very few printers allow for connecting your Android device physically to print. To take advantage of this feature, you will need a USB Type-A to USB Type-B cable, and a converter to connect your smartphone’s port to the USB Type-A of the other cable. Here is how you can print from Android using a USB cable:
- Join the USB converter to the smartphone.
- Attach the USB Type-B cable to the printer.
- Allow plug-ins.
- Now, give the print command from your Android device as you normally would.
We hope that this article was able to help you connect your Android device to the printer in order to make your printing task easier.
Emily Watson is an inventive person who has been doing intensive research in particular topics and writing blogs and articles on webroot.com/safe and many other related topics. She is a very knowledgeable person with lots of experience.