Sometimes, you may find your mouse behaving erratically and choosing icons or taking action even when you are only hovering the cursor. This issue may happen due to the auto-select feature on your Windows 10 device. If you are facing the same on your system, then here are some directions given below.
Check the PC for Malware
You should follow the steps given below:
- Navigate to the Control Panel.
- After that, input ‘Security’ into it and select the OK button to invoke the Windows Security.
- Then choose the ‘Virus & Threat protection’ option.
- You should click on the ‘Scan Option.’
- Now, choose the ‘Full Scan’ option and choose the ‘Scan now’ button.
Repair Mouse Hover-Select by Accessing Ease Section
Here are the steps to follow:
- Once again, go to your Control Panel.
- Then choose the ‘Ease of Access’ option.
- Navigate to the ‘Ease of Access Center’ option and click on it.
- Scroll below to find the ‘Make the mouse easier to use’ option. Click on it,
- You have to untick the box of ‘Activate a window by hovering over it with the mouse.’
- Now, choose the Apply and then OK buttons to save the changes.
Reinstall the Drivers
You may follow the steps given below:
- Navigate to the Windows icon and right-click on it.
- After that, select the Device Manager.
- Then extend the section of ‘Mice and other pointing devices.’
- You should choose the mouse driver and right-click on it.
- Later, go to the Uninstall Device option and click on it.
- Now, verify the procedure by holding the Uninstall button.
- Reboot your system manually and the drivers will reinstall themselves.
Try this solution:
- Hold the Windows and S keys to invoke the Search section.
- After that, input ‘device manager’ into it and select the Enter key.
- Navigate to the ‘Mice and other pointing devices’ option.
- You should locate the type of mouse, and right-click on it then choose the ‘Update driver software’ option.
- Now, you may choose to browse for updates manually or automatically.
- Also, you should look at the site of device manufacturer for updates, or reboot the system and Windows 10 will install awaiting updates automatically.
It can be extremely frustrating if your mouse acts like it has a mind of its own. Luckily, the solutions given above may fix the issue. If the auto-select problem continues to trouble you, try using a different mouse and see if the issue is with the hardware.
Devin Smith is a creative person who has been writing blogs and articles about cyber security and utility software programes. He writes about the latest updates regarding office.com/setup and how it can improve the work experience of users. His articles have been published in many popular e-magazines, blogs and websites.